Non-Toxic Teething Toys for Your Little One
If you’ve reached the stage where your baby is chewing everything in sight, we’ve got a solution for you! Teething typically begins around 6 months of age, some begin teething as early as 3-4 months. It can be a challenging barrier for some parents as they switch between soothing creams and popular toys on the market.
Some common signs of teething include:
- Swollen and sensitive gums
- Gnawing or chewing behavior
- Refusing to eat
- Trouble sleeping
By the time your child is 3 years old, they should have about 20 of their primary teeth (although your baby started growing teeth early in the womb). The stage between those growing years can be a particularly challenging time for both the baby and parent. Teeth can find their way down your babies gums as early as 3 months, so finding the right teething toys will certainly help both baby and parent. Not all toys are made the same and many parents choose against teething and medication creams and opt for organic teething toys. Some parents opt to begin soothing their babies by cooling a washcloth in the freezer and placing the washcloth on your babies mouth when the discomfort becomes apparent. Others try out a wide range of products and give their wholehearted opinion.
We’ve compiled the 5 most popular and organic teething toys for you to try:
- Haba Sunni Clutching Toy: this teething toy comes straight from Germany with its handcrafted wood features. It serves two purposes: both as a teething toy and as a rattle. According to Haba, “when applying colors, we use multiple layers of water-based, solvent-free lacquers making the surface extremely resistant to wear and tear allowing the toy to be taken from the hand to the mouth.”
- Maple Teether Toy: some of the best teething toys on the market are actually made from wood. This toy is straight from Vermont to your little babies hands. Each is handcrafted with smoothes edges and comes shrink wrapped for hygiene. Wood teethers are becoming more popular as brands shy away from chemical finishes!
- So Pure Teether Giraffe: the teether giraffe uses the soft model for teething babies. It is made from 100% organic rubber. The rings attached to the giraffe come in two different textures so your baby can try out both and test out the level of comfort.
- Comotomo Silicone Baby Teether: fits in your babies hand so delicately. It resembles the shape of a baby bottle, leaving this toy familiar to your little one.
- Manhattan Toy Skwish Natural Rattle and Teether Grasping Activity Toy: this toy is perfect because it combines not only teething technology, but also the benefit of sensory stimulation. The toy itself can be squished and molded into different shapes, but will always return to its original shape.
Teething toys are certainly a popular discussion among parents. The great news is there are so many different varieties out there to choose from - you don’t have to settle with the first one you see!
When your baby is in the teething stages, you also want to make sure that you’re helping them discover solids and textures. At Amara, we have the perfect variety packs just for that. We have an introduction to solids variety pack as well as an introduction to textures variety pack that is perfect for your little ones exploration of different baby foods!
by Isabelle Marsh