DIY Baby Yogurt | Homemade Organic Yogurt for Babies & Toddlers | Yogurt Recipes for Babies
Is yogurt good for babies? Yes! Yogurt is calcium-packed and great for digestion. Remember though, there are certain ages that the USDA and pediatricians recommend introducing certain foods for your baby. Be aware that this DIY baby yogurt recipe is only for babies 10 months and older.
Here’s one recipe your baby is guaranteed to love.
What you’ll need:
- 1 quart of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of natural, plain yogurt - room temperature
- A big spoon
- A spacious, lidded pot
- Any food thermometer which can measure from 110 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit
Let’s get started.
- Fill the pot with water and let it boil. After a couple of minutes, place your spoon and thermometer in the boiling water. This sterilizes everything for better success.
- Drain the pot’s contents and replace them with your quart of milk.
- Increase the milk’s temperature until it reaches 185 degrees Fahrenheit. This kills any unwanted bacteria for a better final product. Don’t scorch the milk, make sure you keep stirring!
- Move the pot off the heat and allow the milk to cool between 110 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add your yogurt and mix it in with the milk.
- After stirring, cover the pot with the lid straight away and move the pot somewhere warm [like an oven with onlythe light on].
- Leave the pot here untouched, without moving or stirring it.
- After at least 6 hours, examine the yogurt – more sitting time means thicker and sourer yogurt, so whether you leave it to ferment longer is up to you.
- Stir in any curds and liquid that have formed on top, and don’t worry – this is natural. You can take it off if you want. Also note that the yogurt will probably be thinner than what you're used to. This is because there aren't any thickening additives in your own homemade yogurt.
- Transfer the yogurt into containers and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Serve this treat to your happy, healthy baby. Sounds too easy right? Just try it yourself - one store bought yogurt can be multiplied!
Tip: Try pairing it with a nutritious and tasty, organic applesauce pouch for a more well-rounded meal.
Aren’t homemade baby recipes fun?